Thursday 20 May 2010

Apologies to Jane Austen

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a man in possession of a pension must be in need of a wife to accompany him on some madcap escapade. So it was that I found myself agreeing to cycle from JOG to LE. A thousand miles, give or take. It was either that or go along in a support vehicle. Been there, done that and, between you and me, it can get a bit tedious. And unhealthy. All the cakes and none of the achievement.

So, with a few days to go and 8 months of preparation behind us, where have we got to?

Those of a nervous disposition (and/or men) look away now.

Knickers. After much research I have realised that the only way to go is with two pairs of padded pants, a thinner one to wash out easily and a thicker one with industrial strength padding. So if my bum looks big in this, it’s all padding, honest. Also I have acquired a sheepskin saddle cover to hoots of derision, no doubt, from ‘serious cyclists'. It does look faintly hilarious, like a misshapen B.B.C. microphone cover. Wish I’d bought it months ago.

Pete has been very busy with his new toy, a video camera. stand by for lots of footage of my bum receding into the distance with cheesy soundtrack. We are thinking of remaking ‘Touching the Void’ involving bicycles and potholes. Are you listening Gloucestershire County Council?

Have got to pack tomorrow. It’s more a case of what to leave out. Can I manage without mascara? Yes yes,I know, a hairdryer, but most B&Bs provide one, and those who don’t will be publicly named and shamed in these pages.  Will wind up now. Stand by for more meanderings soon. (Memo to my husband: Large charcoal grey lumps of cumulus with vertical stripes coming out of them are NOT fine weather clouds.)

Goodnight.Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment